Becoming a registered coach
Canadian Sport Institute Pacific and PacificSport recognize that every athlete deserves the support of a qualified coach. We work closely with national and provincial sport partners to ensure that coach eligibility and the related criteria is clear.
PacificSport and Canadian Sport Institute Pacific centres register performance coaches who have met the criteria stated below:
- Must be nominated by their NSO/PSO and actively coaching a nominated targeted athlete; AND
- Must have NCCP accreditation in the old Levels (minimum 3-4) or new NCCP Competition-Development Context Trained (or equivalent) or be a Chartered Professional Coach
Note: In circumstances where coaches may not meet minimum NCCP requirements, an exemption letter may be granted from the designated Canadian Sport Institute staff member that indicates:
The duration of the exemption may extend for no more than two years;
A plan to achieve necessary NCCP qualifications;
That only one exemption will be issued.
- Be a coach currently enrolled in the Advanced Coaching Diploma (ACD) program, or an ACD alumni who remains actively coaching or involved in mentoring/training other coaches.
I meet the criteria - what now?
Coaches who are eligible to register with PacificSport or the Canadian Sport Institute must schedule an intake with their designated centre (usually nearest your place of residence or primary training/coaching region). Specific services may vary from centre to centre. Please contact your appropriate Athlete Coach Services Representative at your designated centre to set up a meeting and receive your full registration instructions.
Regional Centre contacts:
- Fraser Valley (Surrey/White Rock, Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge, Langley, Abbotsford, Mission, Chilliwack, Hope) - PacificSport Fraser Valley
- Metro Vancouver (Vancouver, Richmond, Delta, North Vancouver, West Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster, Coquitlam, Port Moody, Port Coquitlam) - Canadian Sport Institute Pacific Vancouver Campus
- Sea-to-Sky (Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton) - Canadian Sport Institute Pacific Whistler Campus
- Interior BC (Kamloops, Sun Peaks, Barriere, Clearwater, Salmon Arm, Sicamous, Lytton, 100 Mile House) - PacificSport Interior BC
- Okanagan (Kelowna, Vernon, Enderby, Penticton, Osoyoos) - PacificSport Okanagan
- North/Central Vancouver Island (Nanaimo, North and Central Island) - PacificSport Vancouver Island
- Greater Victoria (Victoria and South Island) - Canadian Sport Institute Pacific Victoria Campus
How do my athletes register?
See our Athlete Eligibility & Registration page to find out how to get eligible athletes that you coach registered. In the interest of time and efficiency, we welcome and encourage team intakes for teams with numerous eligible athletes. Contact your appropriate Athlete Services Representative at your designated centre to schedule one at your next practice or training camp.