Professional Development for coaches
The Coaching Association of Canada and its partners recognize the value of having certified NCCP coaches that are engaged in Professional Development programs that reinforce the values of lifelong learning and sharing amongst the coaching community.
Maintenance of Certification
Maintenance of Certification is the NCCP policy that requires NCCP coaches to maintain their certification through Professional Development opportunities over a predetermined period. The purpose of this policy is two-fold:
- To provide coaches with credit for attending Professional Development opportunities; and
- Promote upgrading and maintaining relevancy to coaching practices.
In order for NCCP coaches to maintain their certified status, they will be required to obtain Professional Development (PD) points. PD points can be earned through a multitude of activities that coaches already participate in, including:
- National and provincial sport organization conferences and workshops;
- eLearning modules;
- NCCP workshops;
- coach mentorship programs;
- active coaching
In most cases, coaches are already earning their required PD points -- Maintenance of Certification status is simply the introduction of tracking these poiints and recognizing coaches for their efforts.
A coach who does not complete the required Professional Development credits by the end date of their maintenance cycle should contact their provincial/territorial sport organization for information regarding renewal of certification.
Log into the Locker for an up-to-date record of your PD points. For examples of opportunities to accumulate PD points, check out this page at coach.ca here. If you still have questions, check out these FAQs.
PacificSport Professional Development Opportunities
Look for these opportunities to earn Professional Development points through our centre here in the Fraser Valley:
- MOVE to Play Training
- Sport for Life Movement Preparation Course
- NCCP courses
- Sport Performance Speaker Series
- Athlete, coach, and/or parent workshops by demand - we can organize workshops on the topic of your choice for your team and/or sport organization/club
Check out our Events page to see what we have coming up in the near future.